Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Little Fisherman Toy

My little Owen caught his first fish all by himself over the Fourth of July weekend and it got me thinking. Then I remembered this tutorial by the super talented Christine of From an Igloo, so here's my take on her little fisherman toy.
Blub blub blub...
My official toy tester was very willing to take the bait!
He carefully studied the rainbow trout, striped bass, and blue marlin... (ok, that's the extent of my fish knowledge!)
And in the end...
He hooked a big one! (I think the rubber boots had to play a part in Owen's great fishing luck. Gotta look the part, right!?)
How does it work, you ask? There is a washer sewn on to the nose of each fish.
The "fishing pole" is made with a 1/2 inch dowel rod and a super duper strong magnet that is glued to the end of a pull for blinds. I used the blind pull because I didn't want to drill a hole in the magnet. I figured that couldn't be too good for the drill bit.
I have a feeling this is going to be a favorite toy.
I mean, just look at that fishy face!?

14 comments:

Carolina City Girl said...

gosh. i so wish i could sew...not that i need to make little kid toys anytime soon, but those are so cute!

Christine said...

So cute! My little dude still likes to go fishing too....well, at least he still likes the fishing rods (they have actually been hidden many times as they become an unintentional weapon)!

Congratulations on your new baby! :) I can't imagine having to stay in the hospital for such a long time! He is absolutely beautiful!

Christine
From An Igloo

Stacey said...

That's one mean fishy face! How fun! Love your fabric choices for your fish- very cute!

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog to let me know about your craft. Love your fish!

Joe and Abby said...

You may have just convinced me to dust off my old sewing machine! That is a project I could actually sew!!! :o) I love your creativity, Sarah. It is such a gift from the Lord!

Laura Howell said...

Wow amazing! I'm going to try to do this for a 4 year old boy party I have in January. I'm sure he'll love it also.

Beth S. said...

LOVE this!!! So cute and what a great Christmas gift for a little one!

I love reading your blog! It's so inspiring. I'll be dusting off my sewing machine soon...

Delia said...

Such a cute idea. My husband is a fish biologist so my boys are way into fishing. I may have to do this soon. :)

Jessica said...

This is adorable! I recently made a felt fishing set similar to this. I'm going to give it to my daughter for Christmas. :)

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Tucker Family said...

awesome Sarah!
Noah would love to get his hands on this cute game!! :)

Tai Bender said...

I started my games! I linked to you here! http://taidyeoriginal.blogspot.com/2010/11/sneak-peek.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
taidye original

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I say this one is very cute, clever, and inexpensive. My little boy will love this. He loves to go fishing with us. :)

Adin B

Tai Bender said...

SARAH!! I finished mine just in time for Christmas. I cant thank you enough for sharing these. I linked to you again of course! You can view them here:

http://taidyeoriginal.blogspot.com/2010/12/1-fish-2-fish48-stinking-fish.html

You are the best!
~tai @ taidye original

Unknown said...

Hi! Look what I made inspired by your fisherman's toy! :)
http://filtrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/joc-de-pesca-iii.html